D. Russell Parks
Junior High School
1710 Rosecrans Avenue
Fullerton, CA 92832
Parks was built in 1972 in honor of Dr. D. Russell Parks, former Superintendent of the Fullerton Public Elementary School system. The school is located in Fullerton on the corner of Rosecrans Avenue and Parks Road, formerly an unconnected section of Brookhurst Avenue. The street was renamed in order to conform with a rule instituted by Dr. Parks himself maintaining that schools be named after the streets on which they reside.The school was constructed to blend in with the surrounding hills and trees. The interior of the school was designed as an open structure, with movable walls and open doorways.
During the 2008–2009 school year, D. Russell Parks Junior High School was recognized with the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education. The school was recognized a second time as a Blue Ribbon School in the 2004–05 school year. In 2008–09, the school was recognized as a California Distinguished School, an award given by the California State Board of Education to public schools within the state that best represent exemplary and quality educational programs. Parks has also earned the API state ranking of 10 out of 10.
The school colors at Parks are gold and black and the mascot is the Panther.
Mission & Vision
The mission of Parks Jr. High School is to foster a respect for community and appreciate for personal responsibility while providing for optimal intellectual, social, physical, and emotional growth.